You want a lawyer who has walked this walk a thousand times.
Bruce Rivers can do better than that: He has handled over 2,000 criminal cases since founding Rivers Law Firm, P.A., of Minneapolis in 1998. Learn More
Penalties Of DWI And Drug Offenses
Facing a driving while intoxicated — known as DUI or DWI — or a drug crime charge in Minnesota? Then act fast to protect your rights and your reputation.
If you are caught driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, you could be facing license suspension, fines or even jail. With drug-related offenses, the severity of your penalty depends on the charge.
Facing A DWI Conviction?
DWI charges are possible if you are found with drugs in your system, if you are operating a boat (BWI), if you are operating a snowmobile (SWI) or if you are operating any other vehicle under the influence on or off the roads.
If you are facing a DWI conviction, you could be looking at a misdemeanor, gross misdemeanor or felony offense depending on your history and the aggravating factors present during the arrest. Aggravating factors include:
- A prior DUI incident within the 10 years preceding the current offense
- Refusal to provide a urine or blood test, or if you refuse the Breathalyzer test
- A child under the age of 16 in the car with you
- A blood alcohol reading of .20 or higher
Regardless of the degree of the charge, there is a lot at stake if you are found guilty. You may be looking at jail time (for misdemeanor offenses you could be facing up to 90 days in prison, for gross misdemeanor offenses you could be facing up to 1 year in prison, for felony offenses you could be facing up to 7 years in prison), fines ($1,000 to $14,000 depending on the charge) and driver’s license revocation or suspension.
Other potential penalties you may not have considered include whiskey plates, driver’s education training, a criminal record, which cannot be expunged and much higher insurance rates because of the poor driving record.
Facing A Drug Conviction?
Our firm can help, if you or a relative or friend has been charged with any of the following:
- Controlled substance possession from first to fifth degree
- Importing controlled substances
- Possession of substances with intent to manufacture methamphetamine
- Methamphetamine crime involving children and vulnerable adults
- Simulated controlled substances
- Cultivating/growing marijuana
- Trafficking and transportation of narcotics
- Manufacturing with the intent to sell
- Possession and sale of prescription drugs such as Vicodin, Valium, Celexa, Ritalin, anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medications without a prescription
- Possession of drug paraphernalia
Drug manufacturing with the intent to sell and drug trafficking are often treated as the most serious convictions as they impact society, not just the individual. First-degree controlled substance charge comes with a jail sentence of up to 30 years, as well as a $1,000,000 fine. Even fifth-degree drug charges come with up to 5 years in prison and/or a $100,000 fine.
A Strong Defense Is One Call Away
Call the Rivers Law Firm, P.A., now at 612-915-0355, if you or a loved one has been charged with a DWI or drug offense. You can also get valuable legal advice by sending us an email. We offer free initial case evaluations so you can make educated decisions.
Choose wisely. Choose Bruce.
Get started on your no-charge, no-obligation case evaluation.