Extortion is a crime in which an individual obtains property or money by some type of force. This force can be through property damage, violence, unfavorable government action, or harm to someone’s reputation.
This is different from robbery because the threat is one that does not usually pose any kind of imminent danger to the victim. The victim usually consents, but this consent is forced, making it unlawfully gained. This is what makes the entire act a serious crime.
No matter the case, you need an experienced Minneapolis criminal defense lawyer working for you.
When a person is arrested for extortion, they face the possibility of being incarcerated. This later brings probation and parole, forced law enforcement registration, large fines, and a criminal record that is very damaging. This conviction can cause a person to have difficulty finding a job, finding a place to live, and being trusted by their friends and families.
When hiring a Minnesota extortion lawyer to handle your case, it is very important that a solid strategy be created. Here is how your attorney can help you:
- Your case will be handled quickly and diligently while providing you with 24/7 assistance
- Crucial time will be spent on your case so that it can be as solid as possible at every stage of the legal process
- Investigators may be hired so that witnesses for the government can be impeached when they exaggerate aspects of their story
- Be in contact with the US Attorney or DA to make sure the case can be terminated as quickly as possible, if possible
- Spend time with you, learning as much about you as possible so that your case can be better understood
- Take the necessary time to investigate every aspect of the case so that any holes, untruths, or helpful facts can be uncovered that will allow you to go on with your life
Most importantly, you receive an ethical defense that will allow you to have the best possible outcome in your case. Even if there is a degree of guilt, that does not mean you have to pay the maximum penalties.