Juvenile Crimes

Juvenile crimes are the same as adult crimes – the primary difference is the age of the offender.

Depending upon the crime, the juvenile may only have a juvenile record, which means it will be sealed at the age of 18. Otherwise, the record could follow the minor throughout their entire life, causing them difficulty in finding employment, a place to live, entrance into college, and much more.

To avoid these hefty consequences, a competent and knowledgeable defense by a Minneapolis criminal defense lawyer is imperative to a brighter future.


Juveniles can commit practically any type of crime, but the most common crimes are as follows:

  • Vandalism
  • Theft
  • Disorderly conduct
  • Drug possession
  • Probation violation
  • Underage drinking
  • Assault
  • Snowmobile or ATV DWI

The list could go on and on. For every juvenile crime, the consequences can be handed down like adult crimes.

In many cases, the offenses only follow the juveniles through their adolescent years – although it is possible for them to follow them through their adult lives as well.


A juvenile can be classified as a juvenile delinquent, which means that juvenile has committed a criminal offense.

But then there are those children under the age of 10 that commit criminal offenses and these are children that may be considered to be in need of protection or services, or CHIPS. Some are simply petty offenders, which means they have committed a curfew violation or they were drinking underage.

Juvenile traffic offenders are those that are speeding, racing, or driving while intoxicated.

As for sentencing, juveniles can face varied sentences, but it is their Minnesota juvenile crimes lawyer that will work hard to make sure the sentence is one that is not as harsh as it could be. There are even cases where charges can be completely dismissed or the juvenile can be acquitted. If it is determined by the court that the minor did engage in unlawful conduct, the penalty may be probation, counseling, fines, driver’s license suspension, sex offender treatment, restitution, home confinement, placement in a juvenile correctional facility, placement out of the home, or community service.

When your son or daughter has been charged with a crime and is facing these penalties, it is important to call your attorney immediately so you can have the right guidance every step of the way. Evidence can be gathered, witnesses can be interviewed, and other important issues can be addressed to give your child the best outcome possible.

Call the Rivers Law Office today at 612-915-0355 or use our online enquiry form to find out what can be done for you in your case.