A criminal conviction can remain on your permanent record for the rest of your life.

There are some offenses, however, that can be removed from your criminal record, but you do have to have a very good reason to request that the crime is removed from your record. For instance, you need to show that your criminal record is causing you hardship when it comes to getting a job, finding a place to live, or going to school to further your education and better your life. If your criminal record is something that is affecting your ability to move on with your life, then you need your Minneapolis criminal defense lawyer to submit a request for you.

It is important to know that expungement does not mean the record is entirely clean. What it means is that those who perform background checks, such as employers and landlords, cannot see the crime. Law enforcement will always be able to see the records on your criminal record.

Even when you are charged with a crime, that charge can show up on your criminal record. In fact, there are a number of things that can show up on your record and they include:

  • Name of the court that dismissed charges or handed down the conviction
  • The date of the dismissal or conviction
  • Details regarding the sentence served
  • Other relevant details

Because this information is public information, anyone who does a background check will see all of the above information. This makes moving forward with your life quite difficult. It does not usually matter the type of crime or its severity to someone who will be renting property or trusting you within their business.

There are certain serious crimes that cannot be expunged. They include murder, aggravated assault, sex crimes, and DUI/DWI. Those that can be expunged depend upon the circumstances surrounding it. You and your Minneapolis expungement lawyer have to prove that you have been fully rehabilitated; that public safety is not at risk if your crime is removed from your record; and prove that you have been denied housing, employment, admission into college, etc.

If you have been charged with a crime or convicted of a crime in the past and the mark on your record is causing you hardship in a way that prevents you from moving forward with your life, you need legal help now. An experienced attorney will advise you and file for an expungement on your behalf if you qualify.

Call the Rivers Law Office today at 612-915-0355 or use our online enquiry form to find out what can be done for you in your case.